Monday 7 April 2008

Eccentric Orbit


Eccentric Orbit
Originally uploaded by petergriffin_1892.

Back home to Portmarnock again & another early start to catch the sunrise down at the beach.

The 'Eccentric Orbit' monument celebrates the exploits of Australian aviator Sir Charles Kingsford Smith who flew his aeroplane 'The Southern Cross' on the first westbound transatlantic crossing from this beach in June 1930.

The needle points directly at the North Star (pole star), reflecting the aeronautical nature of the monument.

I shot this just after sunrise on a very cold saturday morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.