Saturday 12 March 2011

Would you mind not using the flash...?

"Would you mind not using the flash...?" words that could invoke blind panic in a photographer, especially me. You see, ever since I started taking photos of people a couple of years back I've almost always relied on some kind of flash to light the scene or the model. Whether it's a studio or location shoot I've gotten used to having some kind of flash to help me.

So when Emily Aoibheann uttered those very words I did have a momentary weakness as I realised I was going to have to think differently.

The location was a small dark dressing room in Dublin venueThe good Bits where Emily had just finished a sting modelling as 'Tank Girl' for Dr. Sketchy's Dublin. So the only light I had was a table lamp off to the right of the camera. Luckily I had a 50mm f/1.8 lens on the camera!

Emily Aoibheann

I love this shot, it's one of my favourite portraits that I've shot so far. Its very simple, a natural, easy shot with a beautiful model. This 'no flash' thing? Well maybe it's not a bad idea after all!

No comments: